REQUIREMENTS FOR THE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM
All applicants must meet the following pre-requisite requirements before applying to take the certification exam:
1. Applicant must be at least 18 years old:This NFPT requirement assures that the applicant has completed the academic education which is federally mandated and required for high school grading qualification achievement. The completion of a high school education diploma or general education degree (GED) demonstrates the applicant’s minimum competency in subjects relatable to the foundational knowledge that is required for personal trainer specific skills. These subjects include: Math, Science, English and Physical Education/Health.
2. Applicant must have high school education or equivalent:This requirement assures that applicant understands his/her obligation to adhere to professional ethics and safety standards before, during and after the pursuit of the personal trainer certification qualification.
3. Applicant must agree to adhere to the NFPT Codes of Conduct:
Codes of Conduct: Professional Standards for the NFPT-CPT
- Provide safe and effective fitness program design through appropriate screening, consultation, and evaluation of the apparently healthy client’s physical fitness goals and limitations
- Uphold professional courtesy and consistency by implementing standards for client confidentiality, client to trainer relationships, and allied health professional references
- Maintain clear business standards and an understanding of limitations and responsibilities as they pertain to best business practices, client and public safety, and legal and professional liabilities
- Comply with certification renewal and continuing education requirements for trainer maintenance and advancement
- Represent the certification credential, organization, and industry in a way which furthers health and fitness efforts and initiatives
- Complete all documents, applications, or declarations made to NFPT truthfully
- Protect the confidentiality of NFPT certification material including, but not limited to, certification exam material, exam questions, and score reporting documentation
- Follow NFPT policy for the appropriate use of the NFPT-CPT certificate, certification mark or other logos (also known as ‘NFPT Branding’). NFPT branding may only be used by currently active certificants and never associated with activities which are illegal, obscene or inappropriately construed
- Never knowingly provide trainer services to individuals who are at risk and/or not apparently healthy, or without proper medical release and/or without the performance of proper screening and evaluation procedures
- Refrain from the performance of unethical and/or negligent activities to include lewd and immoral conduct, inappropriate sexual advances or abuses, misuse of trainer/client confidence, reckless exercise instruction, unprofessional behavior which mentally or physically harms the client or general public
- Refrain from any substance that may cause mental or physical impairment that impedes trainer’s ability to safely and effectively evaluate, implement, and perform an appropriate fitness training program
- Comply fully with all certification renewal requirements
- Refrain from any liable, slanderous, or damaging remarks or literature that discredits the personal trainer profession and/or certification organizations who appropriately certify the personal fitness training professional
Applicants, Test Candidates and Certificants must report any conviction of a felony. This must be reported to the Human Resources Director at HRdept@nfpt.com. Reports of felonies will be reviewed under the disciplinary and complaints policy, on a case by case basis. Felony offenses which have occurred within seven (7) years before application submission and are grounds for applicant ineligibility will include, but are not limited to, all sexually based crimes and/or the intent or actual use of a weapon to cause or threaten harm to another person. Felony offenses which have occurred seven (7) or more years prior to application submission will be reviewed on a case by case basis, with an eligibility decision that is at the sole discretion of NFPT Certification.
Felony offenses which occur after application eligibility or certification award and are grounds for applicant ineligibility or certificate revocation include, but are not limited to, all sexually based crimes and/or the intent or actual use of a weapon to cause or threaten harm to another person and/or the involvement in the illegal use, sale, or distribution of anabolic or controlled substances.
Investigation and disciplinary action will occur in compliance with the Certification Council’s
Discipline and Complaints policy.
SEE ALL POLICY AND PROCEDURE RELATED TO THE CERTIFICATION PROGRAM AND RECERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS IN THE CERTIFICATION HANDBOOK.
CLICK HERE FOR THE CERTIFICATION HANDBOOKWhen applying to the NFPT Personal Trainer Certification Program, you are agreeing that you have read and understand the policy provisions of the which defines certification application eligibility, refund requests, test administration and responsibilities, membership renewal and recertification requirements, professional standards for codes of conduct and subsequent disciplinary action and all other statements and disclosures of the .
NFPT Personal Trainer Certification HandbookNFPT Personal Trainer Certification Handbook
The NFPT has adopted a scheduled refund policy for certification packages and the NFPT-CPT exam voucher that allows a full refund minus a $50 processing fee within the first two weeks of the original application. This refund amount decreases by 25% with every two week period with no refund provided at the end of 8 weeks.
The NFPT Membership Renewal Fee and NFPT-CPT Exam Re-Test Fee is NON-REFUNDABLE.
CONDITIONS OF USE FOR CERTIFIED PERSONAL TRAINER DESIGNATION
Herein are the terms and conditions for the use of the title NFPT Certified Personal Trainer, or NFPT-CPT. Certified Personal Trainer, CPT, is the generally stated title and accompanying acronym that is most commonly used in the personal fitness training industry for an individual who has been appropriately assessed and who has successfully demonstrated necessary skill sets of the certified personal trainer by a national certifying body. After becoming certified by NFPT, through NFPT certification examination assessment, the specific title “NFPT-CPT” or “NFPT Certified Personal Trainer” is used to identify the industry designation with the NFPT specific certification distinction.
A NFPT Certified Personal Trainer certification is issued to an individual who has met all eligibility requirements and has successfully completed the certification examination approved by NFPT Certification. To distinguish the industry title from the various organizations who provide personal trainer certification, identify your certification as being completed through National Federation of Professional Trainers, NFPT.
The NFPT-CPT certificant shall:
- advise his/her fitness training client/s/ and/or employer/s/ of the appropriate scope of practice and limitations that apply to the certificant
- advise his/her fitness training client/s/ and/or employer/s/ of the certification organization who issued the Certified Personal Trainer certification. Use the organizational acronym in front of the industry professional title, e.g. “NFPT – CPT”, or “NFPT Certified Personal Trainer”
- only perform personal trainer duties designated by the scope of practice of the certification organization issuing Certified Personal Trainer certification
A job title, issued by an employer, may be different than this NFPT-CPT distinction. This professional industry title, NFPT Certified Personal Trainer, may be used to accompany a job title that has been issued by an employer. The NFPT-CPT designation is an abbreviation of the full professional title as it relates to the organization from which you received this distinction. These titles are not protected under law as personal fitness trainer certification is an industry-regulated credentialing profession; however, the assessment that is used to issue this professional NFPT-CPT distinction is a legally defensible assessment upheld as a viable and protected assessment for the award of the credential.
All active NFPT-CPT’s who have achieved this distinction through the NFPT organization, are included in the online personal trainer database at www.nfpt.com/trainers. Only the Certified Personal Trainer’s name, city, state and zip/postal code will be provided to the public when accessing this database (all other NFPT-CPT information is deemed private and confidential). NFPT-CPTs have the option to add additional personal or other information to his/her online database listing. This listing is available to the public in an effort to provide for consumer safety and regulation of the use of this NFPT-CPT title. The NFPT-CPT database allows potential clients and/or employers to verify the certification status of the NFPT-CPT.
Upon a NFPT-CPT’s inactive status, followed by the expiration of the certification that arises from lack of continuing education credits and/or renewal fee payment, the database listing is removed and the individual must immediately remove and refrain from the use of the NFPT-CPT designation and NFPT Certified Personal Trainer professional title, or other combinations thereof which reflect a current/active personal trainer certification status. An inactive certificant may not engage in activities of a NFPT Certified Personal Trainer, nor make publicly or privately available the title NFPT-CPT or any variation thereof which indicates or implies an active/current NFPT Certified Personal Trainer status. A violation of these terms will be pursued in accordance with the disciplinary actions available to the NFPT Certification Council described in the .
NFPT Personal Trainer Certification Handbook
CONDITIONS OF USE FOR NFPT BRANDING
Herein are the conditions for the use of the NFPT Certification Logo/Trademark (referred to as the ‘Certification Mark’). Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. These guidelines have been created by NFPT Certification to ensure consistency in the manner by which the NFPT Certification Mark is used and displayed. The NFPT Certification Mark refers to the NFPT logo, NFPT Certification Badge, or any other representation of NFPT Certification status which identifies yourself as an active NFPT Certificant. Unless otherwise expressed in writing and in accordance with agreements made by and between NFPT partners, the NFPT Certification Mark can only be used by individuals who are currently certified by the National Federation of Professional Trainers, NFPT Inc.
1. ACCEPTANCE OF CONDITIONS OF USE
1.1. By using NFPT’s Certification Mark, you acknowledge having read and understood these conditions of use and the disciplinary actions for misuse of NFPT’s intellectual property. Disciplinary action may include eligibility status or certification status revocation and/or action taken by NFPT Certification in accordance with intellectual property rights governed by the laws of the state of Indiana. Accordingly, you agree to abide by these conditions as well as any future modifications which may be made. These conditions of use represent an agreement between you and NFPT.
1.2. These conditions of use may be subject to change, addition or deletion at any time. Any such change will be posted on this page and/or you will be notified directly.
1.3. If you do not agree to be bound by these conditions of use, you should not use NFPT’s Certification Mark.
2.1. Use of the NFPT Certification Mark is only permitted for as long as you are currently/actively certified. The removal of all NFPT Branding/Certification Mark must take place immediately following your certification expiration date, if your certification has not been renewed.
2.2. As an active/current NFPT certificant, you may use language such as ‘NFPT Certified Trainer’, ‘I have been certified since ‘, ‘I am a NFPT Certified Trainer’. Do not use language which implies that your company, staff or other related persons or services are ‘certified by NFPT’ or ‘accredited by NFPT’. No language which speaks to ‘Accreditation’ as it relates to your NFPT certification or NFPT company or service affiliation is permitted.
2.3. You are only permitted to use the NFPT logo/Certification Mark in the format that NFPT provides it. The NFPT Certification Mark is available as a download or HTML code format only through your NFPT secure online account. It may not be copied from NFPT or other online sources. It may not be broken up, retouched or in any way manipulated that alters, skews or distorts the proportions, integrity or value of the Certification Mark or the individual components comprised of the Certification Mark.
2.4. The NFPT Certification Mark may be displayed in combination with trainer or company specific other proprietary marks or logos as long as this is done in a way which does not confuse the public display of such marks. There must be a clear distinction between your services and NFPT Certification. In no way should the Certification Mark be misleading or convey a message of false advertising or endorsement by NFPT Certification. Do not integrate the Certification Mark with any trainer or company specific mark or logo that creates an impression of one single mark.