CPT Applicants, Test Candidates, and Certificants agree to:
- Provide safe and effective fitness program design through appropriate screening, consultation, and evaluation of the apparently healthy client’s physical fitness goals and limitations
- Uphold professional courtesy and consistency by implementing standards for client confidentiality, client to trainer relationships, and allied health professional references
- Maintain clear business standards and an understanding of limitations and responsibilities as they pertain to best business practices, client and public safety, and legal and professional liabilities
- Comply with certification renewal and continuing education requirements for trainer maintenance and advancement
- Represent the certification credential, organization, and industry in a way which furthers health and fitness efforts and initiatives
- Complete all documents, applications, or declarations made to NFPT truthfully
- Protect the confidentiality of NFPT certification material including, but not limited to, certification exam material, exam questions, and score reporting documentation
- Follow NFPT policy for the appropriate use of the CPT certificate, certification mark or other logos (also known as “NFPT Branding”). NFPT Branding may only be used by currently active certificants and never associated with activities which are illegal, obscene, or inappropriately construed. See Terms and Conditions for details.
- Never knowingly provide trainer services to individuals who are at risk and/or not apparently healthy, or without proper medical release and/or without the performance of proper screening and evaluation procedures
- Refrain from the performance of unethical and/or negligent activities to include lewd and immoral conduct, inappropriate sexual advances or abuses, misuse of trainer/client confidence, reckless exercise instruction, unprofessional behavior which mentally or physically harms the client or general public
- Refrain from any substance that may cause mental or physical impairment that impedes trainer’s ability to safely and effectively evaluate, implement, and perform an appropriate fitness training program
- Comply fully with all certification renewal requirements
- Refrain from any liable, slanderous, or damaging remarks or literature that discredits the personal trainer profession and/or certification organizations who appropriately certify the personal fitness training professional
In addition, candidates and certificants must report any conviction of a felony. This must be reported to the Human Resource Director at [email protected]. Reports of felonies will be reviewed under the disciplinary and complaints policy, on a case by case basis.
NFPT will investigate any evidence which is brought before NFPT that provides confirmation of potential or actual harm to public safety and/or the mental or physical well-being of another person. Investigation and disciplinary action will occur in compliance with the Certification Council’s Complaint and Disciplinary policy.
NFPT may revoke or take other action against certificate holders in violation of these standards.