Wouldn’t it be great to duplicate your favorite clients and have more of them on your schedule? Your current clients hold the keys to more business. Not only is it easier to keep a client than find a new one. But, they also have access to the highest quality referrals, because they know people that are like them. If they don’t have friends to send you, there is still another path to follow.
What makes your clients choose to see you is where the secret to finding more clients like them is revealed. What you will find below is an activity that leads you to what’s called an “ideal customer”, “ideal client”, “customer avatar” or “target customer”. Regardless of the title it means that there is a type of person who you like working with the most. This person is drawn to your business naturally, but it’s not always so clear why that is. If you want more business, then it’s time to find out!
Use these questions to bring more insight into why people like personal training with you. Only ask the questions of clients that you have rapport with or have been seeing awhile so not to scare off someone new. A regular client you’ve had for months or years will be eager to participate in your business growth. Open the conversation by saying, “Is there a good time we could chat so I could ask you some questions? I’m working to understand my clients needs better and really value your opinion.”
When and How to Ask
You can ask these questions one at a time or casually across a series of sessions. You could ask them more formally on a short phone call or over a cup of tea that’s scheduled outside of work. It could also be done via email or with a survey that they fill out. The benefit to a meeting time is that you can ask other questions that come up and make it more of a discussion than interview. The questions are there to guide you, but it’s ok to stray. If you don’t have a lot of clients, do this activity with people you’re friends with or family members you would like to have as clients.
The key is that you talk to people who represent the person you want to attract to your business. It’s the best educational seminar you can participate in and very customized to YOU. Choose what method feels best to you and start investigating!
The 10 Questions:
1. What’s your favorite part about personal training? (learn why someone buys sessions)
2. Why do you like to be fit? (the words they share can be used on your website, social media and in blogs)
3. What’s the hardest part about staying in shape? (get cued in to problems they have that you can help solve)
4. What keeps you motivated to work out? (gain insight on how to reinforce their good habits)
5. Where do you spend your free time? (this will give you ideas of where to market your services with fliers or free talks/demos)
6. Do you read any publications for health and fitness regularly or healthy eating? (if you’re going to pay for an ad or write a promotional article, do it here)
7. What other trainers have you had in the past or classes have you attended that kept you inspired to exercise? (learn more about what they like)
8. What’s your favorite quote or saying? (you might learn something you didn’t know about them)
9. Who is the most influential fitness inspiration in your life? (identify who they aspire to model)
10. Do you have any friends who would like a free fitness consultation? (if you don’t ask they might not know you offer this or some other complimentary service)
What to do with the answers
If you ask enough clients, you’ll see similarities between people’s answers. Certain words will be repeated. The words and feelings people express allow you to gain deeper insight into your client base. They give you words to use in your marketing, advertising and on social media.
At the end of the day, do this because you care about what’s important to the people you serve. It’ll be a healthy discussion for both of you, strengthening your relationship and highlighting what’s most important.