I just came across this great idea that will help increase referrals, and boost your social media campaign at the same time. It’s fun and the best part is your clients do most of the work for you. It’s called a social media contest.
How It Works
Get your clients to spread the good word about your services via their social channels. Based on a points system, reward them accordingly. Provide real time results so clients can see where they stand. Dole out prizes at the end of the contest.
- Check in when they arrive for their training session- – 5 pts.
- Post or tweet immediately after their workout (about what they did, how they feel, something new they learned, etc.) – 5 pts.
- Post a picture you or your business are appropriately tagged in – 10 pts (To ensure only quality images are used, limit this to one picture per training session they attend or things could get a little out of hand.)
- Review your services – 10pts (Encourage them to leave reviews on your business listings (Yelp, Foursquare, Google Places, etc.) in addition to your social profiles.)
- Invite a friend to join them for a training session via social network – 10 pts.
- Have a friend actually attend a session because of social media invite – 50 pts.
- Post about achieving a fitness goal you set for them – 25 pts. (Make this one count! You could even set tiers to these goals. From tier to tier, the goal will be more challenging and worth more points.)
- Leave a recommendation on Facebook , Twitter or even better – LinkedIn – 5pts.
- Every Like – 1 pt. (This could be every Like one of their posts receives or every Like they leave on content on your page.)
- Every Comment – 2 pts. (Again, this could be for every comment they leave or receive.)
- Every Share or Retweet – 5 pts.
- Every time they share your content- 5pts.
- Every time their content (about you) gets shared – 5 pts.
The contest should run for a minimum of 45 days. It will take at least that long for it gain traction. You will also want to set personal goals with each client at the beginning of the contest and give him or her enough time to reach those goals. Then, share their success with the world!
If it’s a success and your clients enjoy it, turn it into an annual contest. You may need to make some tweaks to keep their interest for a full year. Make a race against the clock instead of a competition amongst clients. Set the grand prize at certain number of points- like 10,000. Then give them a full year to work towards that magical number. Throw in a few lower level prizes, and a monthly reward for the most points that month and they’ll never lose interest.
Just make sure the prizes are worth it to the clients. If they’ve racked up that many points they’ve probably added a grand or two to your business from referrals. Throw in all the free exposure they are giving you, exposure that others pay big bucks for, and the least you can do is give away an iPad or two.
What contests have you had online or offline for your personal training clients?