What if a sleep habit is the one thing holding your client back from better health? Changing one small habit can sometimes be the root of all change. Getting a quality night of sleep positively impacts the ability to choose healthy foods and provides the energy to exercise. In many cases, a rested mind is where our motivation to get moving comes from.
Help your clients get more sleep with these science-based solutions and strategies. Join our sleep group to get support and invite your clients.
In this episode we talked about:
*These 8 tips and the reason behind them:
- Wake up at a consistent time everyday unless sick or recovering from a rough night (no snooze button!)
- Avoid caffeine until 9-10am or after cortisol spike.
- Go to bed the same time every night – this means in bed, lights out
- Start your bedtime routine 30-60 minutes before bedtime. Include tips for creating relaxing routine??
- Turn off electronics 60 minutes before bedtime. (or as much as possible)
- Dim lights in house 60 minutes before bedtime. (or as much as possible)
- Finish dinner 2 hours before bedtime.
- Stop caffeine consumption 7 hours before bedtime.
*Behavior change strategies for sleep adherence.
*What to do if you get a second wind/high in the evening after a concert, etc.
Some of our viewers said:
I love the journal idea!
Turning off electronics is the hardest thing to get in habit of.
Instead of sleeping in on the weekend, a nap in the weekend will do wonders!
Electronic shutdown helped my daughters 👍…thanks ladies!!!
I have a sound machine to help me sleep.
“Failing to plan, is planning to fail”- Ben Franklin
NFPT Live Episode #18
[info type=”facebook”]If you’re an NFPT trainer, join the Facebook Community Group to chat with other trainers. If you’re not, come talk with NFPT here, like our page and get updates for when we go live weekly.[/info]
Next Week: Episode #19 – Caffeine – is it a jolt or a joke for fitness goals?
Subscribe to our Live Show on FaceBook to get updates when we’re on or mark it in your calendar so you remember to tune in. We’d love to have you on the show.