Many school teachers take the summer months off from work. Some travel, but others seek to have “me time”. This is where you come in. Elevate your summer business by tuning into teachers unique needs and fill the empty time slots of your clients on vacation.
Program Idea #1 for school teachers
Start a group fitness class just for teachers. All you need is a few from each school in town to get the word out. They’re a tight knit network. Come up with a class name that appeals to them and structure it to be beneficial but fun.
A few ideas to get you started:
- Teaching the teacher
- Fitness for educators
- Exercise your way back to school
Program Idea #2 for school teachers
For those that want the personal experience, create a 12-week personal training program that’s catered toward long-term success. The school year proposes many challenges to staying in shape. Carefully investigate the unique needs of the teacher client to identify what days and times they could commit to fitness in the fall.
Ask these questions:
- Is morning, evening or lunch time best for you squeeze in physical activity?
- Do you have 20, 30 or 60 minutes to commit to workday physical activity?
- Are weekdays or weekends better for you to exercise?
- Do you have access to any fitness equipment or a gym at school?
Once you know their specific needs, you can spend the rest of your time together designing and tweaking a specific workout routine. Teach them how to exercise on their own safely.
It might seem strange to instruct yourself out of a job by teaching them what to do. But, if they’re not going to have time to work out with you anyhow, why not give them the tools they need to succeed? Then, they’ll be more likely to contact you on winter break and next summer.
When you hold onto clients too tightly they feel smothered. Provide them with freedom and independence instead. They’ll look to you as a leader and appreciate knowing that you have their best interest in mind.
Program Idea #3 for school teachers
Organize a walking, hiking or biking group for school teachers. They’re a social crowd and will enjoy being with like-minded people. Groups naturally help motivate and hold each other accountable. Be the fitness leader that you are and commit to a day and time each week. This could be volunteer, by donation or for a fee. It’s your choice.
Finding school teachers
- Ask your current clients if they know any school teachers.
- Offer a free talk or sample workout to a local school. (even though it’s summer – people are around)
- Once you find a teacher, ask them for other ideas on how to locate their peers.
Do you have clients who are teachers? Tell us what they love about working out with you!